Sunday, July 26, 2009

Freshman Year Dorms


This is the view out of the dorm window looking onto campus from Nathaniel Rochester Hall 7th floor. The curtains were added by my roommate and I. The nice thing about facing the campus is that the sun doesn't shine crazy bright in the morning but it does have the pleasant sunset in the afternoon.
Don't mind me...
So this is a typical two person dorm. My roommate and I decided to put both our dressers on my side so we could put an airmatress like a couch on her side. Yes, the space is very small BUT its all about what you make of it. I am very big into decorating so I cut out pumpkins (as you can see on my dresser), a fridge with fake flowers and magnets, and funky sheets for the bed. The more you can feel at home the better.

PS- rollerblades or a bike is an excellent idea except for
winter. (next post has the truth about Rochester winters)


There is a white board outside of every room. I suggest, if you want to make friends, using bright colors and friendly sayings on your board so people know you’re a fun person! The tough part of RIT is that there aren’t many outgoing people, so if you or your roommate are outgoing take the time to walk around to every to say “hi”. A good idea is buying a bag of cookies and just offering them to your new neighbors. That seems dumb but I promise it worked.






My best advice for things to bring to your dorm is bring the essentials, but also things that make you feel at home. There will only be enough room for one extra chair per person and even that might be crowded. The chairs are the school that go along with the desk are okay, not particularly comfortable though. If you have a comfortable chair at home I would recommend bringing it including spinning chairs because those seem to be the most comfortable. As for TV if you're not rich and don't want to buy a TV think about going to an electronics store like best buy and getting TV USB stick (its like a memory stick attached to a cable which attaches to the wall). Cable is free at RIT dorms and this is MUCH CHEAPER than a regular TV.http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr850.html Heres the website for the one that I have.
~MEg

No comments:

Post a Comment